Paschimottanasana: forward bend or clamp posture – MindYoga4U
In the Hatha Yoga Pradipika (Chapter 1 vs 30), it is said that Paschimottanasana is almost the most excellent of asanas, for the benefits you have and you share later. But you advance one of the most powerful: it helps keep away diseases.
Usually we usually standing or sitting most of the day, and this makes sometimes the column is compressed. That’s why it also recommended regular practice of this posture, it helps us keep elastic column. ‘I do every day !!
Paschimottanasana flex in the body so we pulled completely back of the body, from head to foot. Hence its name, for the Sanskrit word “Paschima” means West (metaphorically the back of the body).
Paschimottanasana benefits or Pinza
- – It stimulates the parasympathetic (relaxation producing in your body) by a full stretch. It has a powerful calming effect.
- – Combat lordosis (excessive lumbar curve of the spine).
- – Invigorate all organs of digestion and improves itself, it regulates the intestines, increasing peristalsis and fights constipation.
- – Helps regulate the functions of the pancreas, making it a valuable asana for patients prevent diabetes, for people with hypoglycemia and diabetes.
- – invigorating the nervous system.
- – Mobilize joints, gives elasticity to the spine and maintaining a young body.
- – Regular practice helps relieve compression of the spine to the sciatic nerve.
- – Strengthens and stretches the ligaments and lumbar and sacral regions.
- – Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression.
- – Stretches the spine, shoulders and hamstrings.
- – Stimulates the liver, kidneys, ovaries and uterus.
- – Improves digestion.
- – Helps relieve symptoms of menopause and menstrual discomfort.
- – Relieves headache and anxiety and reduces fatigue.
- – therapeutic for hypertension, infertility, insomnia and sinusitis.
- – Balances the functioning of the adrenal glands and reactive power to the various plexuses.
- – prevents or helps fight sciatica, lumbago, dyspepsia, some forms of impotence, indigestion and renal hypertrophy.
- – It is very effective to combat intestinal laziness and prevent gastritis and hemorrhoids and varicose veins
- – Libera energies on the main Nadis around the column.
- – Intensify the union of prana and apana in the solar plexus.
- – Stimulates the first three chakras (Muladhara, Swadhisthana, Manipura).
Precautions for Paschimottanasana or jaw
It is important to say that should not practice this asana people who have asthma attacks or diarrhea. If you suffer from back injuries you should only perform this pose under the supervision of an experienced teacher.
In this as in other yoga positions, never force your body, especially tilts forward when sitting on the floor. As soon as you feel the space between your pubic bone and your navel is shortened to, get up a little, and then continues lengthening again. Often, due to pressure on the back of the legs, beginners can not stretch much your body forward, and may seem a posture sitting up straight.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PERFORMING Paschimottanasana
- Step 1.
Sit on the floor with your buttocks supported (can be on a folded blanket), with legs together and stretched out in front of you, lengthening the twins and heels forward. Keep activated feet from the heels, which are supported firmly on the ground, the toes toward the head and soles facing the opposite wall. Put your palms or fingertips, with your hips and lifts the top of the sternum toward the ceiling as the top thighs descend.
- Step 2.
Inhale and lift arms above the head to stretch the spine. As you exhale, bend the trunk, back straight, from the lower back forward and grabs with hands or toes if you do not get, ankles or calves. You can also make a loop with a strap around the soles, and attach the strap firmly. As you inhale, stretch your arms back up and back down. He directs the head to the legs and breathe calmly.
- Step 3.
Keep your legs and thighs firmly against the floor. Knees and spine straight and shoulders relaxed. Keep intend to gradually get to put the abdomen on the thighs, chest, knees and head in the shins. With each inhalation, lift and lengthen the front torso just slightly with each exhalation release a little more forward lean, feeling full stretch muscles behind the legs. So the torso oscillates and lengthens almost imperceptibly with the breath. With each exhalation, dive deeper and deeper into the asana easing back. Make sure your elbows, shoulders and neck are relaxed. With each breath feels the massage diaphragm against the internal organs.
- Step 4.
When you’re ready to go further, do not pull hard in bending forward with either hand or foot strap. Always lengthen the front torso posture, and keep your head up. If you are holding your feet, bend your elbows sideways and separate them from the floor; If you hold the belt a little loose grip and hold it a little more forward, keeping your arms straight. The lower belly should touch the thighs, then the upper abdomen, then the ribs and the head later.
- Step 5.
The slow breathing abdomen and consciously and includes respiratory motion, repeating the mantra OM three times with inhalation and exhalation three times. Remains in the position of 1 to 3 minutes
- Step 6.
To exit the position, first separates the torso and thigh stretches elbows again if bent. Then inhale and lift the torso up by pulling the tailbone down and into the pelvis. Performed twice posture.
Paschimottanasana is one of the yoga positions hardest working stretching your body. Traditional texts say that increases appetite, reduces obesity and cures diseases.
PS: This article is based on my personal practice and write I guided by the teachings of the International Sivananda Yoga Center in Madrid and the Big Book of Yoga by Ramiro Calle, whom I am forever grateful.