What are the basic things to keep in mind when doing yoga as a beginner?
Are you a beginner in yoga practice or are you about to attend your first yoga class? We offer you 10 rules and tips to keep in mind:
- Choose a slow-paced yoga style , such as Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga or Iyengar Yoga . Leave the dynamic Ashtanga and Vinyasa , as well as the Bikram Yoga for later, when you gain confidence and experience.
- When you buy your clothes for yoga for the first time , look for fabrics that absorb perspiration . Choose shirts with a bra across the back as they offer a proper support and do not show much cleavage. The pants should stretch and adapt to retain their shape after lunge and stretch; also choose the most comfortable length.
- Bring a towel . It is used to clean the forehead and hands, and to cushion the knees and hips.
- Think about investing in a good yoga mat . It must be firm and strong , not too thick or too thin, and of course pleasant to the touch .
- Turn off your phone during class
- Remove jewelry and watches before class : they can interfere with practicing the postures.
- Some yoga instructors offer adjustments to make sure you perform all the postures in the proper way. If you do not feel good when a stranger touches / pushes / pulls you, just tell him / her.
- Use yoga accessories if you are not flexible enough to do certain asanas.
- Hydrate before, after and, if necessary, during practice.
- A typical configuration of the mats in a yoga class is the teacher in the part of the room perpendicular to the students, and the students with their mats parallel to each other and slightly staggered. Be sure to place your mat so there is enough space both in front of and behind it