How can I improve my focus?
Simple techniques of meditation for relaxation and self-knowledge
Meditation allows us to calm our body and mind, look into ourselves and, perhaps, find hidden reserves. But in order for it to work, at first (at least 2 months) you need to practice every day, and then reduce the class to 2 times a week. You in fact understand that if you do this from time to time, you are unlikely to get the desired effect.
Deep breathing is one of the simplest and most effective techniques that is available not only to those who have long practiced, but also to beginners.
1. Find a nice quiet place, where no one will bother you for 10-15 minutes.
2. Sit in a comfortable pose, be sure to keep your back straight. It can be a pose of a foot in Turkish on the floor, and maybe a comfortable chair, but the legs should always stand on the ground with a full foot.
3. Close your eyes and put your hands on your knees with your hands up.
4. Just watch your breathing for a few minutes. Realize and feel how the air passes through your nostrils and throat. Feel how your chest rises and falls during breathing. Pay attention to how the tension gently leaves your body along with the exhaled air through the mouth.
5.When you feel that your body has relaxed, change the rhythm of your breathing. Take a deep breath into the “one” account, then hold your breath for four seconds, and exhale slowly into the “two” account.
6. Continue to breathe according to the “one-four-two” method, focusing your attention on breathing, for 10 minutes.
Meditation with candles
This you can hardly do in the office, so it’s better to try this method at home. At the heart of any meditation is the ability to concentrate your attention on the object. Our body and mind are completely relaxed, but we are focused on a certain subject. This is quite difficult, considering that in our time of multitasking our consciousness is only doing what switches in a short period of time between several tasks. Some manage to do them almost simultaneously. But as it was already more than once it was noticed that successful performance of the task consists in cutting off all superfluous and concentration on a specific goal. In this we will be helped by the practice of meditation with candles.
1. Turn off all light sources (if it’s evening) or curtain the windows with curtains.
2. Sit in a comfortable position, keeping your back straight.
3. Light the candle and place it at the level of your eyes at arm’s length.
4. Focus your gaze on the tip of the candle flame, while trying to blink as little as possible. While performing this technique, your eyes may begin to water, but this is good (one of the reasons why this meditation technique helps to improve vision).
5. Let the candle flame fill your mind. If distracting thoughts start to creep into your head, try to focus again on the flame of the candle.
6.After a few minutes, close your eyes and focus on the image of the flickering and dancing flame of the candle in your mind.
7. Open your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
Meditation “body awareness”
In our body there are thousands of chemical processes, but we do not notice them. The realization of one’s body, the sensation of it from the top of the head to the tips of the toes on the feet is another excellent method of relaxation and concentration of attention. There is only one thing you should know about – if the pose is very comfortable, you can just fall asleep 🙂
1. Sit or lie in a position convenient for you. If you sit, do not forget to keep your back straight!
2. Breathe deeply. Imagine how the tension leaves your body with every exhalation. If you are distracted by any unpleasant sensations in your body, try to find a position in which you can completely relax.
3. Bring your attention to the tips of your toes, focus on the slightest sensations that arise in that place. Imagine how you direct your breath to your fingers, filling them with a sense of warmth and energy.
4. When this zone completely relaxes, direct your attention upward through the knees, hands, spine, face – straight to the top of the head (crown).
5.Feel the warmth, relaxation and tranquility that completely envelops your body. After that, you feel full of energy and ready to cope with any problems and life situations.
Personally for me the most difficult is the exercise with a candle, since it was always difficult for me to completely switch off the thinking process. And the third method is the most pleasant, since if you do it under meditative music, you can really fall asleep! So it is better to do it at home and after the end to lie down in such a relaxed state for another 10 minutes.